Q: Are there some "hacks" you can use for when you've overeaten on fatty and/or fried food, such at the family BBQ or during the holidays?
A: Of course! Check out these 8 hacks to reduce those unpleasant symptoms---and be sure to bring one or more of these with you if you plan to overindulge.
1. Lemon Juice. Use 1 TBsp in a cup of water. No need to drink all of it. If your symptoms are really bad (e.g. you can't think about eating until next year's holidays), make a strong dose of 2 TBsp Lemon Juice in 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Take small sips until you feel a bit better.
2. Grapefruit Juice. Go for a fresh one that's especially sour. Use 1 TBsp in a cup of water. No need to drink all of it.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Use 1 TBsp in a cup of water. Can use a strong dose of 2 TBsp in 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Sip until you feel better.
4. Phosphatidylcholine (PC). Besides being the precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, PC helps to break down fat cells. Take 1 capsule, wait 30 minutes, then take another one if need be. Can pair this hack with #1, 2 or 3 above.
5. Ox Bile. This is a supplement that is of animal origin (it's bile from an ox). When you eat fat, bile is released by the gallbladder in order to break down large globules of fat into smaller molecules that can then be broken down by the digestive enzyme lipase. Take 1-2 capsules of Ox Bile. Alternatively, you can also try taking digestive enzymes to help. Look for one that has a high amount of lipase.
6. Bitters. These include Iberogast, and tinctures of Wormwood, Yarrow & Marigold (there are many others including Oregon Grape & Dandelion root ). Standard dose is 1 dropperful in a small amount of water. Swish in your mouth before swallowing. Can repeat after 30 minutes.
7. Herbal Vinegars. Similar to ACV, an heral vinegar is where fresh herbs are chopped up and infused in ACV and left to sit for 6 weeks. Good ones to use include s Mugwort and Dandelion leaf herbal vinegars. Herbal Vinegars are a great way to get in your minerals, go nicely on salads, and are a boon to digestion. You can find out how to make an herbal vinegar in this diary post by Cat.
8. Peppermint Oil. Heather's Tummy Tamers is a good option. Break capsule open with your teeth or a sharp knife, pop in your mouth with some water and swish for 30 seconds before swallowing. Can take another capsule after 30 minutes.
is a Health Practitioner with a Background in Chinese Medicine. Get in Some of her Savvy Adivce When She Answers Your Health Question.
If You'd Like to Support the Free Content on This Site, Feel Free to Make a Donation. THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT :)