Q: Can you talk about Jing and recommend some Jing foods and herbs?
A: For the love of Jing! Do note that most Jing foods are of animal origin (although there are a few plant-based ones). Also, note there are many different types of Jing herbs (i.e., for libido, adrenal burnout, longevity, bone repair/development, etc.). I've provided a few recipes as well, so read on!
Besides consuming Jing foods and herbs, the spleen/pancreas and liver must be functioning properly in order for such foods and herbs to be properly assimilated. In Western medicine speak, this means that we want to have normal blood glucose levels, a balanced relationship with insulin, and a liver that is able to detox the body from toxins and digest fat adequately. Key to this concept is having a healthy microbiome (not only did Hippocrates known about this in ancient times, but so did the Chinese, which is why they placed the spleen/pancreas and all matters of digestion as being of central importance).
Foods Which Build Jing
Herbs Which Build Jing
You can also find these herbs sold individually in Asian markets, sometimes on Amazon, and on herbal websites (e.g. iherb.com and dragonherbs.com).
Note that there are other Jing herbs out there, including Eucommia, Astragalus, mushrooms such as Reishi and Chaga, and He shou wu/fu ling.
Kidney Foods Which Support Jing
Because Jing is located in the kidneys, foods and herbs which nourish the kidneys also nourish Jing. These foods are black (or dark purple) in color and/or have a salty taste. Some examples:
Herbal Recipes to Tonify Adrenals
Equal Part Whole Dried Herbs:
Crush to small pieces using a high speed blender. Put into a mason jar and cover herbs with 100 proof vodka + 1 inch vodka above the herbs. Let sit 2-4 weeks. Strain and bottle. Dosage: 1 oz 1-2x daily.
Source: The Way of Chinese Herbs by Michael Tierra
1) Equal part black sesame and goji berry <- Helps to protect hair from greying.
2) Equal part prepared rehmannia and goji berry, 1/2 part licorice root <- sweet brew which tastes sorta like a mocha berry coffee, good to help with anemia
3) 2 cups dried nettle + 4 cups boiling water in a 1-liter mason jar. Let sit 4-8 hours then strain. Add in a bit of mint (1-2 tsp dried) for a bit of flavor.
1) 5-6 slices Astragalus root + 4 cups water. Let simmer 20-30 minutes, then strain liquid. Drink as is or use as a base in your smoothie or soup recipe.
2) 1/2 cup Schizandra berry + 1/2 cup goji berry + boiling water to the top in a 1-liter mason jar. Let sit 8 hours to overnight. Strain. Use the infusion to make jello: 2 cups infusion + 1 sachet gelatin (or 1 TBsp agar agar powder). Add stevia to sweeten to the 2 cups infusion. If you find it too tart, use 1 cup infusion and 1 cup of your fave juice (apple, pear, grape, etc.). Simmer the infusion and or infusion/juic on medium heat 5 minutes to dissolve gelatin/agar, then let cool. Add in additional if desired. Place in fridge to set.
NOTE: If you are concerned about the use of chemicals in Chinese herbs, look for organic sourced ones such as Longevity Warehouse.
To your long and prosperous life,
is a Health Practitioner with a Background in Chinese Medicine. Get in Some of her Savvy Adivce When She Answers Your Health Question.
If You'd Like to Support the Free Content on This Site, Feel Free to Make a Donation. THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT :)